The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Monday, May 22, 2006

Surprisingly, it still surprises me

I read an article this morning about Natalie Maines of The Dixie Chicks. Remember back in 2003 when she stated how she was ashamed that President Bush was from Texas? She had since apologized for that disrespectful comment, and now she recants that apology, stating, "I don't feel that way anymore. I don't feel he is owed any respect whatsoever."

Nice. Whatever happened to basic respect in this country? I can see how it is with adults to one another, children to adults, ...anyone to someone in a position of leadership. And the office of the President... that has become something that people constantly poke fun at, joke about, ridicule, trash, ...I'm so frustrated that I can't even think of strong enough words to explain what I'm feeling. You know what I mean. Everyone can see how things have turned thru the years. I can only imagine how much it turns the stomachs of those in the generations above us. Too see the respect just corrode away like it has... it makes me so upset. I thought there used to be consequences for things like what Natalie Maines has done. At one point, wouldn't that have been construed as treason? And now, in the age where we bash our Presidents on SNL, it's okay. It's freedom of speech. It's a "right" we have that no one can deny us.

How about the right of silence? Whatever happened to "If you don't have nothin' nice to say, don't say nothin' at all!" (To loosely quote Thumper from "Bambi" there!) I know our leaders aren't always correct in their judgments and decisions. Heck, as a parent, I know I'm not always right. (Okay, go ahead and print this to show Kirsten when she's 17!) But there HAS to be something more. You don't have to necessarily like everything about the person, you don't even have to like them at all, but there HAS to be a level of respect given. If not, then the position has become some grand joke, and no matter who is in office, it will remain a joke that people will never take seriously. And what is this teaching our children? How are they to differentiate between what's just speaking your mind and what's showing a true lack of respect? If we criticize people so much, isn't that sending a message to the kids that nobody really deserves respect? Where does the line get drawn?

I don't know. I'm so annoyed I lost my train of thought. Maybe I should go chug another cup of coffee... that'll at least divert my thoughts. Now, where's my cup?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

i totally agree with you. i have noticed the increasing disrespect of the presidency more than ever lately. it has also reminded me of the comments i've made about past presidents. the man in office will never be perfect. he may really screw up (pun sort of intended) like our last president, but i should still respect the position. i voted for W and while i see that he hasn't made all the best decisions, i still support him overall. i may not feel the same about our next president, but by that time i will probably have children and i should aim to share with them the concerns i have while still maintaining a level of respect. good post.

May 23, 2006, 11:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home