The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Monday, May 05, 2008

social butterfly

My daughter is a social person. I'm so glad she is. I like that she wants to please others. She enjoys making others happy. She sometimes does this to a fault. For example, the other week she told me after school one day that she wanted to give a few of her Webkinz to a couple of her girlfriends from her class. She hasn't grasped the concept of how much they cost. She just wants to make her friends happy by giving them something she really enjoys herself. I've also had to address the issue with her on more than one occasion how she is not to give her school snacks away anymore. I send just enough for what she needs, yet she often tells me of this particular boy that asks for them, and she always hands over the goods. When she buys a lunch, I send $3 with her, expecting my 25¢ change. More often than not, she gives it away before it makes its way home.

Kirsten loves company. She loves being around others. She enjoys going to peoples' homes to visit. She's very excited for when we move and she can have friends over to play, and even have some slumber parties. She just so enjoys interacting with whoever is around - babies, kids, adults - anyone!

It's hard for her to understand that some people just aren't keen on the company of children. She doesn't understand the sarcastic remarks or annoyed looks. I think when it comes from someone she knows well, like family, the only thing it does is cause confusion and it hurts her feelings. She doesn't get what they feel, and she ends up feeling unloved. I wish I could explain it to her in a way that she could really grasp, but on the other hand I don't want to. I don't want to tell her why some grown-ups are crabby to her. I don't even understand myself why some people are like that. Kids don't understand how we adults often get extra impatient with them when we're not feeling well. I wonder how we got that way? So often when kids are sick, they mostly get extra lovey-dovey & cuddly & sweet. Sometimes they get crabby, sure, but we let them know so they can try to change. Unfortunately, you can't tell adults when they are, or they get worse!

The thing I understand is that sometimes children interfere with the selfishness of adults. There's no reason to sugar-coat that - it's basically what it boils down to! They want to talk with us, and we'd rather watch our television program quietly. They want to dance all around the room, and we'd rather be able to get where we're heading without anyone in our way. They cry over the littlest things, and we think they're uncontrollable babies. The thing a lot of adults don't understand about kids is that THEY'RE KIDS! We shouldn't want them to act like us, because THEY'RE KIDS! They're gonna act like a child because they are! Yes, they need to be quiet at times, and they need to be responsible, but we also need to understand and accept that they're still learning. They don't always understand even their own feelings & emotions. They don't fully grasp the concept of so many things, and I'm glad they don't. They're only kids for such a short amount of time. We need to understand that. Embrace that. And be patient with that.

We were all children at one point in our lives. It seems like forever ago since I was, and I'm only 37. I want my daughter to enjoy these years. She's already almost done with the first grade. Almost turning 8 years old. She's still so innocent in so many ways, ways that some other kids her age are not, and I yearn for that to last as long as possible.

I remember hearing how I used to get in trouble in school when I was a kid. It was most always for talking to others. I was always very social, like my Peanut is. I was always & still am a people pleaser, just like she is. Part of me wants to warn her of some of the dangers of being like this (like people taking advantage of us), but I won't just yet. I'll let her enjoy making friends and being a friend. And loving others. I love that she does that with all her heart. I know God enjoys seeing that, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home