The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Saturday, July 26, 2008

look who's eight


Today my little girl turned 8 years old! I wasn't quite sure what to say about this birthday on my blog here. I think I've posted enough sappy ones in the past where I've looked back to when she was born and the emotional circumstances surrounding that. So many of you already know the story, and the rest can either check my prior posts (here or here) or ask me later if you're curious. (I also have the story of her surgeries on our website.) I think what I'll do today is share some things about Kirsten with you. I'll paint a picture of who she is today...

* Her interest in music has really blossomed lately. She often plays a movie in her room (a Barbie Princess one) over and over, just to sing along with the songs.

* She still has training wheels on her bike. Matt & I joke around that she'll be like Phoebe from Friends - finally learning how to ride when she's an adult!
Honestly, she just gets bored of riding it, and she gets bored fast. Maybe it has something to do with it being more of a solo sport for her right now? She'd rather be playing with someone else!

* She'll be in 2nd grade in the fall. We've been reassured by last year's progress that again, we've made the right choice in giving her that extra year before starting Kindergarten. It was good for her, and she's doing great in school now. It's always very rewarding as a parent to see your decisions turning out for the positive!

* Kirsten really started taking off with her reading skills earlier this year, and she loves to read all the time. I even catch her reading to the toys in her room! It's so great!

* My Peanut absolutely loves animals! She has quite the collection of stuffed animals and little figurines, and her vivid imagination runs wild as she plays out all sorts of adventures with them! It makes my heart smile so big to see the amazing imagination she has! I love it!

* Like many kids (or girls, to be specific), she has moments of attitude issues at home with me. I think all kids tend to test their limits with their Moms the most. But for the most part, Kirsten just really wants to please others. We see this all the time when we watch her interact with others. Whether it's family or friends or complete strangers she's playing with at a local play area, she shares and offers to help and just wants to BE with whoever is there. I think the moments of frustrations mostly come now from just not being able to express her thoughts or emotions well. She really is such a sweetie who just loves being with others.

* Kirsten loves wearing dresses and skirts now. Her Daddy tells her that she's a beautiful princess, no matter what she wears, but she still likes to dress up to feel like one! I even catch her walking with her arms to her sides, hands tilted up and out, like Princesses in movies she watches! Too cute!


We were supposed to be up in Higgins Lake these past few days and through the weekend, but Matt's vacation schedule got messsed up at work. Instead, we're just going to spend the day together, doing things that Kirsten wants to do. On her agenda is a movie (yet to be determined) and a dinner at Red Robin... she loves the special treat, balloon, and song they sing to her!

Happy 8th birthday, my sweetie! We love you!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger appleandi said...

miss your blog. :(

ps.... I LOVE YOUR BLOG! so i've given you a badge, check it out:
http://my-scraps-of-life.blogspot.com/2008/08/awww-shucks.html

Aug 20, 2008, 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home