The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Email overload

I logged into my AOL account to check my email for something this afternoon and saw that I had 178 emails in my inbox. Funny how those things sneak up on me. I know, many of you don't understand how someone can actually have that many, and I'll admit, I've been aware of the growing number of them in there. Some of them are surveys (I found this cool company that actually pays me to fill them out), some are simple newsletters (recipes, etc.), some are email groups I belong to (like the CA one about Kirsten's nose condition), some are actual emails from family or friends, and the majority of the rest are little reminders I email myself about. Are those reminders effective? Not if they're sitting in my inbox, waiting for me to find a quiet hour of spare time to read thru them all and actually attempt to do them!

I did manage to whittle the number down to 158 before posting here. This is, of course, not counting the dozen or more emails I have in my Yahoo! account from FlyLady, which I still have to look thru! (I'll post another blog sometime about FlyLady!)

I took a Motrin 800 & have a tall glass of Pepsi by my side... emails, I'm a comin' for ya!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Woo-hoo! I'm down to 91 now! I did a load of dishes, had dinner, gave Kirsten a bath, read her a book & got her off to sleep, and wittled down the number to NINETY-ONE... and it's only 9:00!

Wow, that's still a heck of a lot of emails. Crap.

Jun 3, 2006, 8:03:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

It's 3 hours later... I keep drifting off at my desk & wandering over to the couch to let the TV zap my brain. I'm done. Final count before bed: 81. That's about 100 emails that I knocked out today... not bad, not bad at all I think! 'Nite.

Jun 3, 2006, 11:20:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Yep, it happened. I went to sleep that night, and the email bunnies reproduced! I played a little catch-up yesterday and this morning I woke to 115. Will the insanity ever end?!? This is reaffirming to me how procrastination never helps. I always say "I'll read it later when I have more time"... then I forget!

My goal is the end of the coming weekend... to have my emails under TEN! And that includes my FlyLady email account, too! (Yesterday I knocked that number down from 80 something to the 20's!)

Jun 8, 2006, 7:14:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Oh sure. I get home this evening from being gone all day & what's the number of emails I have collected now? 199! It's never going to end, is it?

Jul 1, 2006, 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I did it! I stayed up till almost 2:30 in the morning, and I knocked that number down from 199 to 54! Woo-hoo!!!

Jul 2, 2006, 8:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home