The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Comfort food

Today was a good day! Well, aside from the fact that I forced myself to get up at 6:30 so I'd have time for a shower before leaving at 7:30 for church! I had a few moments of uncertainty (with myself) about a job I was doing during the service, but it all worked out okay, as usual. (Thanks, Andrew!) A few family members of mine showed up to my surprise, and it was great to see them & talk a little. Oh, and the service was AMAZING! We showed a video that Craig (our Pastor) (and Jason! Good job, Jason!) put together about how Paradox basically began & then talked about our vision for the future of the church. His message was awesome... he didn't hold back on sharing his passion about what he really believes God is calling us to be doing! "Stop going to church - BE the church!" It got me thinking as to what I'm actively doing to show Jesus to others. What about as a Mom? Am I succeeding there in teaching Kirsten about Christ and how to make Him a part of our lives daily? As a wife - am I honoring my husband and loving him like I know I need to be (and want to)? What about as a friend? As a co-worker? With people I see at Kirsten's school? At stores I frequent? And even at church? What am I doing... what do I need to change... and what is my plan?

I totally got sidetracked from what I wanted to write about! I'm trying to share about later in the evening, but that message just came back and hit me hard... in a good way! I guess that means God's talking to me, doesn't it?!? :)

Anyway, Kirsten & I went to my parents house in the afternoon to do some laundry and visit. (The apartment laundry isn't quite accessible... and it's kinda scary! Lovely excuse to go visit family!) When I popped the second load in the dryer, I took Kirsten to Target with me to pick up a few things. My Mom invited us to eat dinner with them when we returned. Talk about a walk down memory lane... the lane of senses, that is! She made one of my old favorites - veal parmagian and spaghetti! I inhaled that dinner so fast! Of course, I tried savoring some bites while having nice conversation, but I still was the first one done! It just felt sooooo good! Like I was a teenager again! Minus the fact of my 6 year old daughter chatting away in the seat next to me! LOL My Mom packed up a plate of leftovers for Matt to eat. If he doesn't eat it by the time I get home from work tomorrow night, that baby's mine! Thanks, Mom!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy Hoogewind said...

my wife & i bring our laundry over to her parent's house on a regular basis too... and sometimes we'll get an invitation to dinner - a home cooked meal from Mom that never tastes quite as good when you make it!

i guess that's what makes it so special...

Feb 19, 2007, 10:00:00 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

i just recently had one of these experiences at my parents house...we went to visit them a couple weeks ago. that friday at work was kinda rough, but thoughts of my parents cozy warm house with music playing and my mom's homemade pita bread, hummus and guacamole kept me going! when we got to their house (after the 1.5 hour drive) it was all even better than i had imagined! i'm so thankful for wonderful parents!

Feb 22, 2007, 5:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home