The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Second chances

Yesterday after work I had to run some errands. I took Kirsten along with me, and we were pretty productive. When we got home around 7:00, her attitude started getting quite crabby with me. Quickly, I got annoyed. I was tired from driving around in the heat & really needed to get some dinner in me. I was snapping at her, unfortunately. At one moment I threatened to take away some fun thing she had coming up, and she quickly put the brakes on her attitude and apologized. Then she said something that struck a chord with me. Granted, she's said this before, but for some reason it never hit me like it did yesterday. She asked if she could have another chance - if she could start over. I almost felt like crying at that moment, with all sorts of emotions just flooding through me. What right would I have to dare say "No!" to her at that point? Would that show her unconditional love of a parent? Then, as it has so often happened since becoming a parent, I thought of a different scenario. What if that was me asking my Heavenly Father for another chance? Would he tell me "No!"? Or would He embrace me, His precious daughter, and lovingly tell me "Sure!"? That's what was in the forefront of my mind as I hugged Kirsten and told her that she can most definitely start over with a happy attitude! I want my daughter to know that even though she should do things right the first time around, she can make mistakes and I'll be there to love her through it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home