The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

breaking from the norm

I'm taking a break from my weekly "Wordless Wednesday" photos to share a story instead. A situation that's been a topic of conversation between me & my spouse for many a year. Let me preface this with saying that I'm opening myself up to you all here. I'm about to share something that many, many women would never dare talk about to others, especially in a place like this, where any and everyone could learn about it. It may also seem a bit offensive for some, and I apologize for that.

Here it is - I'm a farter. Yup, you heard me right. I fart. And sometimes, I fart a lot. Fart. Pass gas. Toot. Fluff. (That one just doesn't make a lot of sense to me - it's like trying to sugar-coat poop! LOL) Breaking wind. Whatever you call it, it's the air that comes from below. It's a completely natural thing, yet so many people avoid the subject of it. Are embarrassed by it. Won't admit they do it. But you know they do. EVERYONE DOES. My daughter even proudly (accompanied with giggles) announces when she does it. I come from a family of farters. My brothers fart. Loud and proud. Stink and all. My sisters fart. Their husbands fart. We're farters. Of course, we also know when & where is appropriate. We're not work farters or church farters or funeral farters or out to dinner farters - we're home stinkers. In our comfort zones. Relaxing and being at peace. We fart.

The situation at hand is the conversation Matt & I had about it this morning. And last night. And I'm sure a few days prior. And a week prior to that. It's what we talk about so much, but it's an issue that will never be resolved. I think he has unrealistic expectations, and he thinks I just refuse to oblige his request. What is that, you ask? He wants me to hold it in when I'm around him. Not for the fact that he's objected to them in general - he lets his rip whenever he so pleases! But it's because he calls mine "EVIL" incarnate. They stink. It's very rare that they don't. I think it's genetic. Something. But they do, and there's apparently nothing I can do to change that! So, here's an example of a scenario: we're in the bedroom watching tv. He just lets them loose. Loud and proud. I let one tiny one slip, and he freaks out. I mean, FREAKS OUT! Shirt over his head, groaning, complaining, and I'm sitting there laughing! He says I need to stop doing that. I argue he can, so why can't I? He says it's because his don't stink (they rarely do), and mine do (they rarely don't). I say it's a natural thing. He says the smell that comes out with mine is something completely unnatural, something of an evil nature.

And there the conversations stays. Until the next time. Now, I have perfected the art of being able to hold in the rest of my nether-region functions. If I have to go potty, I'm really good at waiting. Believe it or not, even if it's the runs. I get those so frequently (dumb IBS issues) that I've just learned how to hold it in, no matter the pain. Of course, as I age, I'm sure that won't be as easy or feasible!

So anyway, if you feel like touching such a silly subject as this and giving your two cents, please, fire away! Make it as stinky or as flowery as you wish! I'm just wondering if anyone else sees my point of view on this! Sure, I feel for the guy to have to deal with my stink, but really, is it my control of how they come out?!? Can I change the aroma of them? No, it's out of my hands. Yes, and out of my fanny, too! LOL

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I also fart a lot, so I feel your pain. My farts, however, do not stink it up. It has nothing to do with food. Whenever my family and I eat all the same food (breakfast, lunch, and dinner!) during Sundays, I could be aroma free - not to same case in regards to my dad, though. I wish there was some research done in this area to pinpoint what makes the wind beneath the cheeks smell so powerfully wrong! If your hubby really does feel like this is something he wants you to change, I would suggest meeting him halfway; minimize your farting around him, but take this opportunity to compromise on having him change something you dislike. :P (I always think "What's in it for me?") So work something out. Make some zones "Fart-free," such as the bed and kitchen... but everywhere else(not in public) is fair game. Even if you have to get up out of bed and walk around the house to spread the love, just do it. Definitely, work something out before such a tiny problem -blows- up into something big.

-Ruben A

May 14, 2008, 9:36:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Ruben, you crack me UP!!! This morning as I was getting Kirsten ready for school, Matt was in the kitchen & let a bunch loose - very loud, and he was cracking up. Kirsten started giggling, then she did one by me in the bathroom. Matt walks in with a big grin on his face - like such a proud Daddy! LOL I said "Hey! But hers stink like mine do! It's okay for her to do it?!?" (All 3 of us were cracking up at this point!) His comment was something about how cute she is when she does it! Looks like a battle I'll never win! At least I have good ammo if I ever need it! LOL Thanks for the comment here!!!

May 15, 2008, 12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home