The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sometimes we CAN be creative!

I was catching up on some reading of my friend Doug's blog, and he had a post on there that caught my eye and stirred up some memories. He referred us to this girl that is getting married soon, and she was sharing about the nerves that go into planning a wedding. She was finally able to focus her thoughts into a few questions... "Will anyone remember this the next day? Will I remember this the next day? Or even care the next day?" ...and base her decisions on what those answers turned out to be (like for the seating arrangement or favors). That got me thinking about my wedding. Matt & I didn't have a lot of money to put into it, so we decided to make it personal, unique, and as memorable as possible. Of course, the element of fun had to be there as well! We had our invitations rolled up into scrolls, sealed with wax, and hand delivered by messengers (our friends!) in garb (costume). For the wedding, we rented a monk's robe for our pastor to wear & he said that was the most comfortable wedding he's done! My brother Paul made Matt's boots by hand, and the rest of the guys made their own moccasins to wear. Matt wore a sword & I even had a little dagger strategically hidden in my outfit! We enjoyed ourselves and our company, and apparently it did turn out to be a wedding many people never forgot! I even recently reconnected (via the evil MySpace world) with a friend I hadn't seen in at least 10 years. What did she mention? That she remembered our hand-delivered wedding invites & how neat that was! So, lesson here: it's not all about the money, folks! Just take in advice that others may give you, but in the end, do what YOU want to do... and ENJOY! Oh, and make sure you get to eat your yummy meal, too!



P.S. Today marks the anniversary of our first date! (8/23/92) We went to see "Single White Female" and I think we even held hands! LOL

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

oh my gosh! what an awesome wedding!! i've seen medieval weddings on tv before, but i've never known someone who had one! it looked absolutely beautiful! i especially loved the picture of the bridal party on the bridge. do you and matt go to the renaissance festival?? i love going and feasting on turkey drumsticks!! yum!! i'll miss you the next two sundays, but then i'll be on a mission to go out for coffee when i get home!

Aug 24, 2006, 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home