The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Monday, December 17, 2007

so far it's a go

The current time as I begin this is 11:04pm. Why do I mention this? Because I just thought you'd like to laugh with me at the fact that Kirsten is in her room and STILL AWAKE! Um, we're going to be leaving the house in 7 hours! Oh well, she'll catch up on her rest in the afternoon, I suppose!

So yes, the surgery is on, and we have to check into admitting downtown at Children's Hospital at 6:45am. Matt's work schedule got messed up some (people called in sick, so he ended up having to work later than originally expected), so he won't be able to go with us. I know he feels bad, especially after Kirsten asked him tonight about being there. Poor Daddy Matt! Well, we know his heart is with us all the way. My dear friend Karen will be accompanying me on the adventure. I can't believe she volunteered to wake up before the crack of dawn to meet at my place at 6am! Blech! Talk about friendship! :)

Anyway... can you tell my mind's just all over the place? Oh yes, there goes her door, and here she comes...??? She needs to go to the bathroom. I'm sorry, when it's 3 hours past my bedtime, I'm usually sleepwalking with my eyes barely cracked open if I have to venture to the bathroom. Actually, I'm like Matt - I lay in bed, wondering if I have to go badly enough or if I can make myself fall back asleep instead. I usually just go - I've had too many bad dreams of wetting the bed! Here she comes, skipping back towards her room, stopping to tell me that at 7 years old you can be a princess if you want to. And there she goes, after one more pleading from me for her to just go to sleep. 11:12. And now she's singing. This is going to be a long night.

Where was I? Oh, yeah, Karen coming with me. Okay, she made arrangements for her 3 kids, and she'll be my partner in this tomorrow. She graciously agreed to meet at my place so we could ride together. My request for this (instead of just meeting downtown) is because Kirsten sometimes has problems after surgery and throws up in the car on the way home. Not fun to be alone during this! (I need to add some type of container to my list of what to bring tomorrow!) I'm thinking this will actually be quite uneventful, as far as surgeries go. There won't be a tube in her nose, so no stitches will be involved. That cuts back on her pain/discomfort. They kept their promise to get us in first thing in the morning, so I'm imagining she'll be done with the surgery by around 10:00 at the latest. We might even be home in time for lunch. For a nap. That's what I'll be longing for. A nice, quiet nap. We'll have to see what alternative they'll have for her to replace the Tylenol with Codeine that she's had in the past. We've been wondering if that's what added to her problems during those first 24 hours post surgery.

Okay, I'd better go post something on our website now. I'll be sure to update both of these tomorrow after we get home, and I'm anticipating it'll all be good news. Of course, the final results will show within the weeks following - whether her nostril will stay open or not. That's what we're praying for!!!

11:20pm... I don't hear anything. Maybe she finally conked out? What a sweetie - maybe this was a little anxiety, even though she says she's fine about this. Awwww!

11:27pm... just heard her change her CD... GO TO SLEEP ALREADY!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger suchsimplepleasures said...

i hope everything went well!
you're lucky to have such a wonderful friend, who will venture downtown to children's, with you...but, be there for you and your daughter!
take care...you're in good hands, down there at children's!

Dec 18, 2007, 10:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home