The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Saturday, January 05, 2008

reflections

This afternoon I attended a memorial service for Mrs. Helen Wrubel. The relation between us is by marriage - she was Matt's Dad's brother's wife's mother. She passed away December 3rd, and the family decided to wait until after the holidays to do something. It was a nice service. The pastor didn't seem to personally know Mrs. Wrubel (Aunt Sally & Uncle Gary attend the church where this was held), but he said some nice things about what he's heard of her. He read a letter that Aunt Sally had written about her Mom, which was a brief summary of her life. It stated when she was born, where her parents were from, her dreams about attending nursing school, where she lived, who she married, and the family she had. It was interesting to hear that in spite of all the loss she had experienced, she never let it defeat her. She was strong. I'm sure she had her moments, but she rose above them... through them... and kept on living for the joys she loved, mainly family. She also loved the Lord, and I believe she looked to Him for her strength, too. Two of her favorite songs were played during the service. I had to close my eyes and listen... they were amazing operatic-like songs. The first was "Time to Say Goodbye" with Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli and the second was "The Prayer" with Celine Dion & Andrea Bocelli. Wow, what beautiful music! I didn't know Mrs. Wrubel loved opera! I couldn't help but reflect some about my sister as I listened to those songs. My sweet sister Evelyn absolutely loved opera, and she would've really enjoyed those songs we heard today. I think she really would've enjoyed the singers, too, but I think their rise to stardom happened either around the time or after my sister died. Well, I'm sure her & Mrs. Wrubel are enjoying quite the choir in heaven together now!

The pastor gave others some time to share special thoughts or memories they had of Mrs. Wrubel. Our cousin Libby had written out a little something ahead of time, and it was just beautiful. She's married into the family, like I am, and she obviously had a great connection to Mrs. Wrubel (her Grandmother by marriage). Listening to the words that were shared, I noticed the theme through it all - she was a happy woman! She was always cracking jokes, smiling, laughing, just enjoying life. That's what I remember about her. I have one vivid memory of a Labor Day family picnic where she & I were sitting down laughing. I really enjoyed her company, and it was nice to hear that so many others felt the same. She will be missed, and she will be remembered.

Some other reflections I had today was in the building itself. The church was the one where Matt grew up. His parents started going there before he was born. I started going there when I was in the 10th grade. I couldn't resist walking around a little, exploring areas that I used to know so well. A lot of history was in that building - almost 26 years of Matt's life and about 15 of mine. That's where we met. We were married there. That's where I met a few other friends that I still hold dear (even though I might not see them often). Matt & I had some great experiences there that helped us grow into the people we are today (i.e. working in the youth group). And we left there together before we had Kirsten. I think I'm a little surprised that I'm not necessarily sad at how much has changed there. It was just good to reflect.

On the way home I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things. Playing overhead was "Help me, Rhonda" by the Beach Boys. Another song today to remind me of my sister. I like that.

It was a good day today. I was able to see some family and catch up a little (there are some truly wonderful people in the Gross family!), I was able to look at that church in a nice reflective light, I was able to close my eyes and feel as if I was listening to that music with Evie, and I was able to remember the love & laughter of Mrs. Helen Wrubel. It was a good day today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home