The Musings of Ruth

Main Entry: muse
Function: verb
Pronunciation: 'myüz
Form(s): mused ; mus·ing
1 : to become absorbed in thought ; especially : to turn something over in the mind meditatively and often inconclusively
2 : to think or say reflectively synonym : PONDER

Friday, January 04, 2008

say it isn't so

I'm getting a little better at this worrying thing. I'm learning to pray more about whatever is bothering me. I'm also learning to do something that comes completely unnatural to me - not let my mind complete the negative thoughts out. That's a biggie. But I'm learning, little by little.

My concern at this very moment is Kirsten's nose. As you know, she had surgery on her right nostril the week before Christmas (see post here for the 12/19 details). This was a choanal atresia ("CA" for short) repair, which essentially was drilling thru the bone that was preventing her from using that nostril. In surgeries past, the doctor inserted a stent (tube) to help hold the area open during healing. Within a few weeks of the stent's removal, it would grow closed. Even when she had the extensive surgery thru her palate, which was the "last resort" of this type of surgery, her nostril still closed up in the end. She's got some super-healing powers, I tell you! (And the bone growing so quickly is what surprises me most still!)

Where we are tonight is that her nostril is getting plugged. You know how it sounds when you have a cold and you sniff and you just can't get much air in? That's what's happening. I had her cover her left nostril & sniff in the right side. It collapsed in, and I could just barely hear a little air pass thru. I've been using some saline nasal spray on it several times a day, and it doesn't seem to be helping. I was hoping this would just be an issue related to the weather we've got (it's winter in Michigan - need I say more?), but then why isn't it happening in the other side instead? I could very well be worrying about nothing. I hope that's the case. I'm praying that's the case! I remember earlier today at my sister's house, Kirsten's nostril was gooping like it used to. I'm just beginning to get a bad feeling about this.

So I'll continue to pray about her nose. And I'll continue to keep my mind on the here & now, not on the "what if?"s of this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ug!! I'm totally praying about this!!

Jan 4, 2008, 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yikes! How frustrating. I too will praying that her nose stays clear...

Jan 5, 2008, 8:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home